Monday, September 28, 2015

Biking in Denmark




Leg 8: Höganäs - Helsingborg - Helsingør - Copenhagen
After a rewarding meeting with Alex Molvin and a beautiful ride along the west coast down to Helsingborg, it was with great excitement I left Sweden and crossed Skagerak with the ferry to Helsingør. I had been told that Denmark is an exceptionally good land to bike in, and these rumours proved to be right: dedicated bike lanes, great surface, and a rather flat landscape. I am not sure whether it was the good conditions, my excitement, or both, that made me accomplish the distance two hours faster than expected. This, despite the fact that I experienced the closest I've come to a crash, so far: in a small passage, some roadwork was going on. I therefore decided to take a shortcut across the sidewalk, since it was empty. Suddenly a roar comes from behind, and I can see a juggernaut coming at me. I'm still on the sidewalk, but the juggernaut has a trailer that is broader than the road. In order to not be hit by it, I throw myself sideways, but there is a wall covered in ivy. I manage not to get hit by the trailer, but instead, my helmet is stuck in the ivy. Shaken by the incident, I although made it to Copenhagen, safe and sound.




Leg 9: Copenhagen - Vordingborg
After a biking-free day in Copenhagen, I took Galaxersomsliterdinabraxer south towards the town Vordingborg. This was a quite unproblematic ride, and I even fell asleep for a couple of minutes when taking a break on lawn, next to an excavator showroom. I believe that Vordingborg is one of the many "summer cities" I will pass during this journey.




Leg 10: Vordingborg - Rødbyhavn - Puttgarten
The last day in Denmark offered many small and remote cities, such as Sakskøbing and Guldborg. In the middle of nowhere a parkway occurs, and my map suggests me to take a 90 degree turn. In the map, there is just a straight line, going tens of kilometres across the fields, it sure looks wrong. But it isn't, this is an old railway that nowadays acts as a so-so, but beautiful, biking path. After biking through the "byhåla" Holeby, I finally reach Rødbyhavn and the ferry towards Germany.




I believe that Sweden can learn a lot from the Danes when it comes to encouraging biking. In Copenhagen, basically all streets have bike lanes, and on the countryside the roads have broad verges with the bicycle symbol painted on them. Moreover, the flat landscape, funny signs and perfect weather made the few days of biking in Denmark really awesome!


På gensyn!

No comments:

Post a Comment